:0 Hi all,
i am struggling to find a relevant topic/ thread area to post questions about stuff ... Hopefully here will be acceptable.
So here are a few questions:
error: "Unable to load base map ..
- p.s. -
- Many Thanks
UT3 Old, New & Phys X Server: Check your Browser :)
Unreal Info, Content & projects:http://unrealbyfusilade.wordpress.com/
Nichts wäret ewiglich, nur die Natur bleibt bestehen.
AMD RYZEN 7 1800x@ 4.0ghz-MSI X370 PRO CARBON-2xMSI GTX780Lightning-Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB-SAMSUNG 850Evo-LOGITECH G19-CORSAIR VengeanceM65 & HX1200i-COOLERMASTER HAF Stacker915R/935/915F-Custom Loop
Stevie's cornerA blog dedicated to UE4, UDK, UT99 / 2004 / III / 4.All UT4 CTF custom maps. All UT4 remakes. UE4 links (guide, tut). UE4 resources, Software tools & resources.
p.s. these images are premature- but i wanted ideas early, this shoudl be enough to show the direction i feel.
TKBS wrote:Still not sure where i am & am not allowed to post stuff- again, sorry if this is in the totally wrong place.You found the Help thread, so your on the right track.- I re-installed ut3; got fibre, booted up a server and thought i would get side tracked from my other maps and make this....- probably my 4th mirror's edge map, - i think most people probably know i don't like this bsp/holp style mapping, but i thought it would be a good choice for the simplicity and style i need to achieve the re-imagining of the scraper deck level.- also i thought [since you guys are 90% holp enthusiasts] that maybe some of you will have good input. [hopefully most of you?]Most of us love HOLP, but all the veteran mappers can always provide you good feedback about pretty much everything. I'm sure HOLP and BSP mapping won't be excluded in regards to that.- its just a standard 6 hour attempt thing atm- think of it as a blank canvas, i just playing colours and i have the map layout done [as it is in ME -]- Hope yall have fun coming up with ideas for colours, styles etcI suggest you start up a new thread when you have a Beta going in the UT3 Beta's section.The WIP's that I wanna show off, tend to go posted in the Work in Progress section.Etc. etc. You can't really make any mistakes on posting. If a moderator or Administrator (Bl1tz) might think you did post a thread in a wrong section, there will kindly advise the appropriate section and ask for a move of that thread to that.
Still not sure where i am & am not allowed to post stuff- again, sorry if this is in the totally wrong place.
You found the Help thread, so your on the right track.- I re-installed ut3; got fibre, booted up a server and thought i would get side tracked from my other maps and make this....- probably my 4th mirror's edge map, - i think most people probably know i don't like this bsp/holp style mapping, but i thought it would be a good choice for the simplicity and style i need to achieve the re-imagining of the scraper deck level.- also i thought [since you guys are 90% holp enthusiasts] that maybe some of you will have good input. [hopefully most of you?]Most of us love HOLP, but all the veteran mappers can always provide you good feedback about pretty much everything. I'm sure HOLP and BSP mapping won't be excluded in regards to that.- its just a standard 6 hour attempt thing atm- think of it as a blank canvas, i just playing colours and i have the map layout done [as it is in ME -]- Hope yall have fun coming up with ideas for colours, styles etc
I suggest you start up a new thread when you have a Beta going in the UT3 Beta's section.The WIP's that I wanna show off, tend to go posted in the Work in Progress section.Etc. etc. You can't really make any mistakes on posting. If a moderator or Administrator (Bl1tz) might think you did post a thread in a wrong section, there will kindly advise the appropriate section and ask for a move of that thread to that.
My Leveldesign PortfolioAbove link is updated (:
My Levels for Unreal Tournament 3:
DM-Unlimited ~ DM-Animus ~ CTF-Rising ~ CTF-Embargo ~ CTF-Seraph ~ CTF-JigokuMap Packs for Unreal Tournament 3
Internal Coördination of the UOF4 Low Poly Map Pack
I have chose my primary lighting scheme for the map- or at least what i woould like, it just needs to be fully applied, and tweaked, now i am looking at potential shadows..Question...- Does this seem an acceptable starting point for the "Colouring & shading" of the shadows and stuff...
-- im wondering if the orange shadows actually match the generic lighting on the white floor tiling, or whether i should focus more on this coloring with the material expressions of the specular node.- any thoughts on this?
* consider this... if i changed the wall texture material to have a lower specular and less relfection on the orange tints in the top part of the wall, to better contrast the same effect present in the white tiling floor -- that of which is clearly not as "shiny".
- again none of this is final- its just each stage in testing.
- this map will be flipped and duplicated for vctf- but lookign at some of the geometry - its a potential DM map also so tyhoiughts on that welcome too
-- Edited by TKBS on Sunday 10th of March 2013 03:16:29 AM
That looks like a join between two pieces of BSP. One BSP block is getting blue light cast on it from the 'vent' and the other isn't, hence the blue only appearing on one of them.At a guess, raise the quality of the shadow maps for the bsp surfaces on the floor and see if it calculates the blue light better. Otherwise use the vertex tool and adjust the width of those BSP chunks and move that edge away from the vent.Using the 'lighting only' view may also show you what's happening with the lighting in that spot.
I like playing with stuff!
I appreciate that Bl!tz, now i think it should be called "things that confuse the pants off me"-lol :)- First of all, thsi happens to me alot; i spend a month making a cool map and then i get issues i have never seen before - 3 New never been seen problems.1. Engine Limit [32 bit limits]^^ Due to the engine's 32bit nature - i often exceed teh allowance for maps in ut3 - However i have found a fix for this to allow a "64bit style editor, with increased VRAM capabilites and higher vert counts/ lightmaps allowed" - its an obvious fix i know but it works; - run 2 editors [or like me play another game or use udk + ut3] :)2. This is weird- i Open my map [no splits in my BSP although i have used extrude 1 time which im not a fan of anymore] - i get this new error^^ any ideas - could this be my Extruded brush?^^ - by extruded brush i mean- i had to extrube a brush to get the collision on my custom blocking volume correct-
- has this brush effected my collision?- dunno=- does this make my map crash--? i think so - but again- i have no idea
3. My ut3 My documents is now read only- i have no idea why- it did this by magic on its own.- when i move a map from my unpublished folder it remains in the same folder- and duplicates itself to my e.g. desktop- the desktop file says it does not exist- and the unpublished file also says it does nto exist- the file then appears on my desktop after i close teh unpublished folder- Special error number 4.- my map does not Rebuild all anymore it simply says "file doe snto exist - for the ut3 binaries - Please help; sorry to pesterp.s. bl!tz, i really appreciate the thread chaneg and the friendly attitude from the forums from everyone, i do not take offence- but i always feel weird when people call me "bro"- im not black and i do not know eveyrone here well enough to be a bro - + i have given very little back to the UOF team so feel a bit uncomfortable - just call me "friend// or Skee"* when i have given back all i can to the forums- then you can call me what u like :)Thank you everyone- how i can get this map done its been a really hard month getting a mirror's edge map perfectly adapted for both imitation + gameplay incorporation but im very close
-- Edited by TKBS on Saturday 30th of March 2013 08:08:31 PM
roger that friend, i call everyone bro in life and on forums because we re all brothas on this world(mother nature, motherearth), nothing to do with harlem (blacks, whites, yellows all have brothas...),nothing to do with a "common "mother or something like that....no offense, no racism....p.....peace!!from me it s just a sign of affection and i try to use it to make peeps around me confortable....it seem it s a flop...lol....hardest now will be to remember who like or not....my fault though
1/tbh i must say that sometimes friends are more than brothers because u choose em....do we know us enough to call us friends eachothers? lol....just kidding you friend, in fact all is a question of point of view and i respect your ideas and the fact that you re enough honnest to tell your feeling
2/what mean skee? my s***y translator will not tell me
oh...and sorry i cant really help with all thoses ed problems, i m more in my truck than on my PC theses days + i never heard or have seen such weirdness in such proportions, u have no luck , i hope someone will be able to help you
* I would like to make clear step by step tutorial for making great 'Sky' [i will post this in the tuto's section when completed].
- This is something usually i end up spending hours on a texture and using LERP + all kinds of material expressions to make a material fit onto the Pathetic sky domes made by epic.
- Sky is truly a nightmare in UT3 [p.s. check all my maps you should see my sky materials are pretty damn good even if i say myself, but they take too long and i have been using an unstructured process- lets make it structured !!]
- The problem is because epic have sky domes with Baked textures & ingrained UV's, it can be a nightmare to achieve the results wanted.
- Would someone like to help/ contribute/ comment + help please ?
- Here's what Normally i do:
1. Create the Sky texture [Here is 2 random/ + unfinished examples]
- For a sphere dome/Mesh -
^^ as basic blue night sky with maybe an organe nebula [choice based on map design/ & my intentions for lighting]
- for a panaramic Dome/Mesh -
2. Apply to an appropriate sky dome in Editor and patch up the bad areas with LERP and other textures/ Clouds etc
The options are:
^^ using a panaramic texture - as shown above ^^
a) Cover sweams and stretching using material expressions + addiditonal textures
b) Use a panoramic sky dome + panaramic texture
Dark Sphere Mesh
c) Use the Dark Sphere sky dome and apply a Spiralled Textured [i use polar coordinates coz i don't know how else epic could achieve the swirl.]
3. Custom Mesh
d) make a whole new sky dome model and UVW Map my texture onto it.
** what goes wrong:
- Materials become messy from using clone + heal in Photoshop [produces poor results]
^^ OR you have to spend 3 weeks on every pixel to get it right- [Time constraints don't allow for this]
- Seems and nasty spots appear on the material
- Seriously wtf; there must be 1 perfect way to get what i want everytime.
- The point is i know everything combined works eventually - but is there a way to take my perfect panaramic sky texture and get it onto the corrcet sky dome?
- i start with this sky texture:
^^ but i have to change it becuase otherwise...on a model looks like this:
- and SO ... then i have to destroy my work just to achieve this using polar coordinates - WTF!!
- Can anyone help?
Unfortunately I can't help ya M8!
I'm hopeless at skies unless I cheat by photoshopping one of the stock ones.
I'm aware there was possibly a tutorial over at Epic but not sure. It was a few years ago when I saw it.
Tut 101 for this Static Mesh Only:UN_Sky.SM.Mesh.S_UN_Sky_SM_Sphere_Night
00. Source -- Start with your large source texture
01.Cut out a large portion of the texture you want
[we will use the extra texture space to cover seams and clone/ heal our image]
02. offset by 50% and Cover seams/ make seamless.
03. Cut out the easiest piece to work with // again -Cover seams/ make seamless.
^^ i used the centre for an example here
04. Set image to the size you want e.g 4096x4096 and then use Polar coordinates
05. Fix seams and centre area again
Click for larger image:
* For night sky i advise leaving stars out of the master image; do this will a lerp/ add expression
* For Source art i use 16000 x 16000; so there is plenty of image to use.
* This creates a nice simple base image to apply other material expressions to
-- Edited by TKBS on Wednesday 3rd of April 2013 09:10:44 PM
You won't get a clear panoramic texture onto a sphere mesh, there will be always distortion in the UV map so the texture needs to be somewhat stretched too, otherwise there is stretching once applied to a material/mesh. The only way around would be lots of UV seams which makes it even harder to work with, because the result is not a solid UV island shape like a circle or rectangle.That workflow described looks fine. Though I'd just use polar coordinates for the whole panoramic texture, clear the mid part and resize.
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)Log: === Critical error: ===Rendering thread exception:Assertion failed: LookupTable.Num() [File:.\Src\Distributions.cpp] [Line: 609]Stack:
I would like to put a few Texture packs together.- over the years many textures have been made by many people. i usually start fresh every time but this seems silly after so many years.
Does anybody want to help?
- Provide advice, ideas, content, links etc
The Texture packages may be set as follow:
- Contains some tips about how to make/ & find textures.
e.g. Making metal, wood, tiles, seamless patterns etc
- Thinking about size, channels etc before starting
- Thinking about size, channels etc before importing
One Question i have is;
Does anybody have a good Method or Macro to balance the brightness/colour etc of images?, i am aware a few messy, methods but they are not great and definitely not tutorials yet.
With a few nice texture packages it might be cool to check old maps and update them with nicer content...